What is this disease?
- This refers to a narrowing of the ureter at the junction with the kidney causing a blockage of the flow of urine. As a result, the pelvis of the kidney enlarges. This increase in the size of the pelvis of the kidney is what we call hydronephrosis.
- Antenatal scans, USG after birth, nuclear medicine scan and MCU in selected cases are the diagnostic investigations.
- The options of treatment include watchful waiting to surgical intervention. The surgery is recommended for cases with significant obstruction, as detected on investigations
- The surgery for Pelviureteral junction obstruction, if indicated, is done after 2 months of age in unilateral cases.
- In indicated cased , surgery is the treatment option. Otherwise child need follow up with regular USG, blood pressure measurements, urine and blood tests.
- Read “All you need to know before your child’s surgery” information booklet in website.
- The surgery can be done by both open and minimally invasive means. In both of these, the diseased segment is resected and the pelvis is joined with ureter. Most of the surgeons would like to place a DJ stent during the procedure.
- For more details of surgery, contact your surgeon
- Few photographs of steps done by me and video link is given here for learning purposes